Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 is one of the favorite tool of trade for many web designers and web programmers. Being a WYSIWYG editor, it offers a luxury that no other editor does and performs equally good. Since Dreamweaver CS4 is a windows based app, most users who move on to linux find it hard to make a switch to other alternative open source editors mainly because of the rich features of Dreamweaver. Though there are good alternative editors that can be used to do many things that the dreamweaver can do, they never offer the comfort of Dreamweaver. So this tutorial teaches you how to install and run Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
Note: This tutorial is written based on actual processes done on Ubuntu 10.04. This tutorial can also be used to install Dreamweaver on other distros like Fedora and Mint etc.
- You need to have Wine installed on your Ubuntu. To find out how to install Wine, read this.
- After completing the installation of Wine, download “wintricks” by typing this in your Terminal:
sudo wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
- In order to make Dreamweaver CS4 install successfully on your Ubuntu via Wine, you need to download and install few windows based dependencies. This is the reason why we downloaded winetricks in previous step. winetricks will download those dependencies with a simple command, making it easy to install those dependencies. Type:
sh winetricks msxml6 gdiplus gecko vcrun2005 ie6 dcom98This will start downloading those dependencies and will run a setup program after each files are downloaded. Just install all those setups that it prompts you to do so. This might take time depending on the speed of your Internet.
- Now download atmlib.dll file and move it to system32 folder in your Wine’s C:
sudo mv atmlib.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/Or download it manually from here and copy paste it to Applications > Wine > Browse C: Drive > windows > system32
If everything goes perfect, it will ensure that your Wine is now ready to install Dreamweaver on it.
- Pop-in your Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 CD/DVD and open the Terminal and change the path to your drive. Or better copy the installation files to your Documents folder and put it a another folder named Dreamweaver CS4.
- After installing, you can run it from Applications > Wine > Programs
cd Documents/Dreamweaver CS4
Now make sure the main setup file lies directly within Dreamweaver CS4 folder and run this command:
Note: The name of the setup file may vary. It can be setup.exe or some other.
Important: If you already have Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 installed on your windows installation, skip Step 5 and run the Dreamweaver.exe file directly from the installed directory by browsing through the C: in wine.
That’s it. If you come across any problem during the process, do let me know in the comments.